The only way you haven’t heard about this is if you’ve been out of the country with no internet access or living under a rock the last two weeks. Apple has smashed yet another record in the corporate world – this time by reporting the largest quarterly profit in corporate history.
The news was so incredible that no one noticed that iPad sales slumped, falling by 18%. Why was the news more incredible? Here’s 5 reasons why.
- Apple sold an average of 30,000 iPhones every hour.
- This past quarter the iPhone outsold some gadgets made by entire industries, including televisions, tablets and desktops computers.
- Apple has now shipped more than 1 billion iOS devices. 1 billion!!
- Apple has enough cash to buy 40 Nimitz-class aircraft carriers
- Apple Pay is an overwhelming success. (Apple Pay now makes up more than $2 out of $3 spent on purchases using contactless payment across the three major US card networks. In fact, Whole Foods has reported a 400% rise in contactless payments thanks to Apple Pay.)
And Apple is just getting started. The buzz about the new Apple watch is growing and has only increased with the announcement that the company will be relying on third-party developers for that “killer app” to make the Apple Watch a success beyond the first version. Is this only the first in a series of record breaking news that we’ll be hearing from Apple in 2015?
- On February 10, 2015